Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chocolate Chip covered Oreo Cookies

They look deceptively normal.

So, for my senior recital (I'm a music education major) I was rather nervous. I didn't want to do it, I was paranoid nobody would be there, etc. My Sigma Alpha Iota sisters (it's a women's music fraternity) moved our meeting an hour earlier so they could go to the recital, and many of them did.

But, the music fraternity my brother's in moved their meeting back as well so they could go to my recital (not SOP). They all lined up in their Phi Mu Alpha jerseys in the front of the recital hall and sat in a row together. When I walked out, I had a hard time not laughing at them all sitting there.

I thanked both groups with cupcakes, cookies and deer jerky at the reception afterwards. I still felt like I needed to do more, so last week I asked one of the brothers what type of cookies he thought I should bake. His response was Oreos covered in chocolate chip cookie dough. I had never heard of this, and he was a bit stunned by such a response.

Naturally, I turned to my handy-dandy Google and found a recipe on the Bakerella site.

Chocolate Chip Covered Oreo Cookies
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
3 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
12 oz bag chocolate chips
1 pack of Double Stuf Oreos

- Put the oven on 350*.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and eggs, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, soda until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mix to the sugar mix.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Take a golf ball sized piece of dough (cookie scoop, etc) and flatten it out somewhat. Wrap it around the Oreo. Make sure it's all covered and there are no super-thin parts - these will leave exposed Oreo after baking.
- Place on a parchment paper lined pan and bake about 11-16 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.

I made 2 batches of these, and had a few broken Oreos left over. It made about 55 cookies between the two batches.

Bam! A hidden cookie!

Again, thanks to the Iota Omicron chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota and the Delta Epsilon chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and everybody else who showed up to my recital. SAI/PMA, thanks for moving the meetings, and enjoy the cookies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment